Michael R. Hall
I have a decade of experience in building and leading profitable digital media businesses. As the general manager of digital for NESN, I have built NESN.com into the most-visited digital property in regional sports and into one of the 30 most-visited sports websites in the United States. We have increased NESN’s annual digital revenue by 670% since 2008 through an innovative digital publishing strategy, search engine optimization, digital marketing automation, and lead generation. Under my leadership, NESN.com has been profitable since 2011 and runs at a 60% operating margin as of FY 2014.
Prior to joining NESN, I worked at ESPN.com, where I led search and content syndication initiatives, and at ABC.com, where I led development of ABC.com’s user engagement platform, including fantasy games, social media, and online video.
I am a graduate of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) with a degree in computer science. I am experienced in Web technology, mobile technology, integrated digital strategy, digital advertising sales, digital marketing strategy, digital analytics reporting, agile software development, and e-commerce product development.
Vice President, Digital
2013 – Present | Greater Boston Area
NESN is the most successful regional television network in the United States. NESN is one of the ten most valuable brands in sports and has an estimated brand value of $844 million (source: Bloomberg, 2013).
I have served as NESN’s digital general manager since 2008. I have full P&L responsibility for NESN.com and NESN’s entire digital product line, including Web development, Web design, mobile applications, tablet applications, digital video, social media platforms, digital marketing programs, digital sales strategy, and emerging digital strategy.
NESN promoted me to Vice President in 2013. In addition to my continued responsibility for NESN’s digital division, I also joined NESN’s Senior Management Team.
My accomplishments as NESN’s VP of Digital:
- Increased NESN’s annual digital revenue at a 5-year CAGR of 67% through an innovative digital publishing strategy, digital marketing automation, email marketing, social media marketing, and lead generation programs. NESN.com has been profitable since 2011 and runs at a 60% operating margin as of FY 2014.
- Increased NESN.com’s monthly unique visitor reach to 5.3 million in 2015, a 5-year CAGR of 85%, through new content syndication partnerships, SEO, and social media optimization (source: comScore). NESN.com is the most-visited digital property in regional sports and is one of the 30 most-visited sports websites in the United States.
- Increased NESN’s social media reach to over 2.1 million fans, the highest level of any regional sports network (sources: Facebook and Twitter analytics).
- Manage a team of 20 with responsibilities for digital technology, content, sales, and marketing.
- Perform due diligence on the digital businesses of prospective investments for NESN and its ownership group. My research has included reviews of sports franchises, traditional media companies, and digital advertising agencies.
Director of New Media
2008 – 2013 | Greater Boston Area
NESN hired me in 2008 to create and lead its digital division. As NESN’s general manager of digital, I developed NESN’s digital strategy, including its content strategy, technical development and design, digital advertising strategy, and digital product development.
My accomplishments as NESN’s Director of New Media:
- Led NESN’s development and launch of mobile and tablet applications for iOS and Android, resulting in an increase of 2.25 million monthly unique visitors from mobile and tablet over a three-year period (source: comScore).
- Led the development of NESN’s online video content and technology strategy, resulting in an increase in monthly video streams from 500,000 per month to 12.5 million per month over a four-year period (source: Springboard Video).
- Led NESN’s migration to WordPress.com VIP, resulting in a 59% YOY increase in unique visitors per month (source: comScore).
- Managed a team of 14 with responsibilities for digital technology, content, sales, and marketing.
- Promoted to Vice President and appointed to NESN’s Senior Management Team in 2013.
Product Manager, ABC.com
Disney/ABC Television Group
2007 – 2008 | Greater Los Angeles Area
ABC.com is the digital division of ABC, the national broadcast television network owned by The Walt Disney Company. ABC televises scripted and reality television shows across the United States. ABC’s brand value is $1.7 billion (source: Forbes, 2012).
I was promoted within Disney in 2007 to serve as Product Manager at ABC.com. In this role, I managed the strategy, development, and monetization of ABC.com Community, the user engagement platform for the ABC Television Network. My product portfolio included fantasy games, message boards, blogs, web videos, and integrations with social media networks.
My accomplishments as Product Manager at ABC.com:
- Increased ABC.com Community traffic by 216 percent through social media optimization, the launch of new message boards, and the development of fantasy games for fans of “Dancing with the Stars” and “Grey’s Anatomy.”
- Increased ABC.com Community revenue by 128 percent through my development of new ad optimization systems.
- Managed a team of six developer and moderator contractors.
- Led ABC.com’s Web analytics implementation and reporting using Omniture’s analytics suite, resulting in a convergence of ABC’s internal analytics to the external analytics systems used by ABC’s advertisers.
2005 – 2007 | Hartford, Connecticut Area
ESPN is the most popular sports television network in the United States. ESPN televises sports events and sports news programming and is available via cable and satellite subscription services. ESPN’s majority owner is The Walt Disney Company. ESPN’s brand value is estimated at $40 billion (source: Forbes, 2012).
ESPN hired me in 2005 to lead its development of ESPN Search. My role expanded to encompass product strategy and development for search, sponsored advertising, message boards, and content syndication.
My accomplishments as Technical Producer at ESPN:
- Built and managed ESPN Search, emphasizing breaking news, keyword search, and sponsored link revenue. ESPN Search powers ESPN’s content syndication to search engines, mobile products, and content partners.
- Increased search traffic by 300 percent year-over-year by integrating search results contextually into site content.
- Increased sponsored link revenue by 250 percent year-over-year by optimizing sponsored link placement.
2004 – 2005 | Greater New York City Area
Bridgewater Associates is one of the world’s largest hedge fund firms. Bridgewater manages approximately $150 billion in global investments for a wide array of institutional clients, including foreign governments and central banks, corporate and public pension funds, university endowments and charitable foundations.
Bridgewater hired me in 2004 to develop and manage technical integration of its equity and debt trade generation software.
My accomplishments as Technology Associate at Bridgewater:
- Increased efficiency of daily trade generation process by 33 percent by replacing an Excel-based process with an automated SQL query process.
- Launched new architecture for dynamically balancing investments for over 250 accounts.
- Developed and launched new software integrating Bridgewater’s trade generation and account management functional areas.
2003 – 2004 | Washington, D.C. Metro Area
Appian Corporation is the market leader in modern Business Process Management software. More than 3.5 million users trust Appian’s BPM software to manage their mission-critical work.
Appian hired me in 2003 to serve as a consultant on its Navy Knowledge Online project. One of the world’s largest online education portals, Navy Knowledge Online houses over 750 active communities of practice and over 25,000 active knowledge centers for the U.S. Navy.
My accomplishments as Consultant at Appian:
- Developed product strategy for Navy Knowledge Online’s search and virtual classroom.
- Managed all operations and development for Navy Knowledge Online-Secret.
- Increased use of search functionality on the Navy Knowledge Online portal by 150 percent.
B.S., Computer Science
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
2003 | Greater Boston Area
2013 | Greater New York City Area
Digital media development, digital media technology, digital media sales, Web technology, Internet application development, mobile applications, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), social media optimization (SMO), email marketing, lean software development, technical management, and Web analytics and statistics.