Michael R. Hall
Vice President of Digital
2013 – Present | Greater Boston Area
NESN is the most successful regional television network in the United States. NESN is one of the ten most valuable brands in sports and has an estimated brand value of $844 million (source: Bloomberg, 2013).
Michael has served as NESN’s digital general manager since 2008. Michael has full P&L responsibility for NESN.com and NESN’s entire digital product line, including Web development, Web design, mobile applications, tablet applications, digital video, social media platforms, digital marketing programs, digital sales strategy, and emerging digital strategy.
NESN promoted Michael to Vice President in 2013. In addition to his continued responsibility for NESN’s digital division, Michael also joined NESN’s executive committee.
Michael’s accomplishments as NESN’s VP of Digital:
- Increased NESN.com’s monthly unique visitor reach to 5.1 million in 2014, a growth rate of 158% since 2013, through enhancements to NESN’s content syndication partnerships, SEO, and social media optimization. (source: comScore Media Metrix Multi-Platform).
- Increased NESN’s annual digital revenue by 670% since 2008 through an innovative digital publishing strategy, digital marketing automation, email marketing, and lead generation programs.
- Increased NESN’s social media reach to over 2.1 million fans, the highest level of any regional sports network, through a content strategy designed to promote social interaction (sources: Facebook and Twitter analytics).
- Performed due diligence on the digital businesses of prospective investments for NESN and its ownership group. Industries researched include sports franchises, media outlets, and digital advertising agencies.
Director of New Media
2008 – 2013 | Greater Boston Area
NESN hired Michael in 2008 to create and lead its digital division. As NESN’s digital general manager, Michael developed NESN’s digital strategy, including content strategy, technical development and design, digital advertising strategy, and digital product development.
Michael’s accomplishments as NESN’s Director of New Media:
- Led NESN’s transition to WordPress.com VIP, the professional version of the world’s leading content management system, resulting in a 59% annual increase in unique visitors to NESN’s digital properties (source: comScore Media Metrix Multi-Platform).
- Led NESN’s development and launch of mobile applications for iPhone and Android, resulting in an increase of 1.9 million monthly unique visitors from mobile over a three-year period (source: comScore Media Metrix Multi-Platform).
- Led NESN’s development and launch of tablet applications for iOS and Android, resulting in an increase of 350,000 monthly unique visitors from tablet devices over a three-year period (source: comScore Media Metrix Multi-Platform).
- Led the development of NESN’s online video content and technology strategy, resulting in an increase in monthly video streams from 500,000 per month to 12.5 million per month over a four-year period (source: Springboard Video).
Product Manager, ABC.com
Disney/ABC Television Group
2007 – 2008 | Greater Los Angeles Area
ABC.com is the digital division of ABC, a national broadcast television network owned by The Walt Disney Company. ABC televises scripted and reality television shows across the United States. ABC’s brand value is $1.7 billion (source: Forbes, 2012).
Michael was promoted within Disney to serve as Product Manager for ABC.com Community, a collection of user engagement products including fantasy games, message boards, blogs and web videos.
Michael’s accomplishments as Product Manager at ABC.com:
- Increased traffic to ABC.com Community sites by 216 percent through technical development and of message boards, on-air and online promotion of message boards and social media integrations, and development of fantasy games for fans of “Dancing with the Stars” and “Grey’s Anatomy.”
- Increased revenue generated from ABC.com Community sites by 128 percent through the development of ad network tools and analytics systems.
- Managed a team of six developer and moderator contractors.
- Led ABC.com’s Web analytics implementation and reporting using Omniture’s analytics suite, resulting in a convergence of ABC’s internal analytics to the external analytics systems used by ABC’s advertisers.
2005 – 2007 | Hartford, Connecticut Area
ESPN is the most popular sports television network in the United States. ESPN televises sports events and sports news programming and is available via cable and satellite subscription services. ESPN’s majority owner is The Walt Disney Company. ESPN’s brand value is estimated at $40 billion (source: Forbes, 2012).
Michael was hired by ESPN to lead its development of ESPN Search. While at ESPN, Michael’s role expanded to encompass product strategy and development for search, sponsored advertising, message boards, and content syndication.
Michael’s accomplishments as Technical Producer at ESPN:
- Built ESPN’s new sports news search engine emphasizing breaking news, keyword search, and sponsored link revenue. ESPN Search serves as the engine for ESPN’s content syndication to search engines, mobile products, and content partners.
- Increased search traffic by 300 percent year-over-year by integrating search results contextually into ESPN’s award-winning sports content.
- Increased sponsored link revenue by 250 percent year-over-year by optimizing sponsored link placement within search results and article pages.
2004 – 2005 | Greater New York City Area
Bridgewater Associates is one of the world’s largest hedge fund firms. Bridgewater manages approximately $150 billion in global investments for a wide array of institutional clients, including foreign governments and central banks, corporate and public pension funds, university endowments and charitable foundations.
Michael was hired by Bridgewater in 2004 to develop and manage technical integration of trade generation software.
Michael’s accomplishments as Technology Associate at Bridgewater:
- Increased efficiency of daily trade generation process by 33 percent by replacing an Excel-based process with an automated SQL query process.
- Launched new architecture for dynamically balancing investments for over 250 accounts.
- Developed and launched new software integrating Bridgewater’s trade generation and account management functional areas.
2003 – 2004 | Washington, D.C. Metro Area
Appian Corporation is the market leader in modern Business Process Management software. More than 3.5 million users trust Appian’s BPM software to manage their mission-critical work.
Michael was hired by Appian in 2003 to serve as a consultant on Appian’s Navy Knowledge Online project. Navy Knowledge Online is one of the world’s largest online education portals. Navy Knowledge online houses over 750 active communities of practice and over 25,000 active knowledge centers.
Michael’s accomplishments as Consultant at Appian:
- Developed product strategy for Navy Knowledge Online’s search and virtual classroom.
- Managed all operations and development for Navy Knowledge Online-Secret.
- Increased use of search functionality on the Navy Knowledge Online portal by 150 percent.
B.S., Computer Science
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
2003 | Greater Boston Area
2013 | Greater New York City Area
Digital media development, digital media technology, digital media sales, Web technology, Internet application development, mobile applications, search engine optimization (SEO), search engine marketing (SEM), social media optimization (SMO), email marketing, lean software development, technical management, and Web analytics and statistics.